EL TOPO 180 Gram Vinyl Soundtrack by Alejandro Jodorowsky
Real Gone Music vinyl reissue of Alejandro Jodorowsky’s original score to the 1970 western El Topo.
This is a 180 gram reissue of the original 1971 LP release by Apple Records.
Re-mastered from the original master tapes!
Released in 2012.
Championed by everybody from John Lennon to Peter Gabriel and decried by ”Establishment” critics ranging from Vincent Canby to Gene Siskel, El Topo remains one of the most controversial movies ever made.
Director Alejandro Jodorowsky’s bizarre, blood-soaked blend of spaghetti Western, druggy surrealism, Christian allegory, Zen Buddhist themes and avant-garde sensibilities gave rise to the entire ‘Midnight Movie’ counterculture phenomenon of the early ’70s and forever changed the way adventurous audiences viewed film. Or, for that matter, heard film; for no soundtrack, before or since, has embraced so many styles in its pursuit of spiritual and artistic goals.
Atonal, Tibetan Buddhist thighbone trumpets clash with beautiful, even sentimental, chamber orchestra pieces alongside pan flute rhapsodies, brass bands and parlor jazz; that Jodorowsky himself composed the score after, no doubt, intently studying the work of Morricone — is almost as impressive an artistic achievement as the film itself.
Now, Real Gone Music, in partnership with ABKCO Music & Records, is issuing this one-of-a-kind soundtrack album on LP for the first time since the original release produced by Allan Steckler for Apple Records back in 1971. What’s more, the vinyl release will replicate the gatefold packaging of the LP and include the four-page booklet boasting some of the film’s hallucinogenic imagery that came with the original release. Produced for reissue by ABKCO’s in-house Engineer Teri Landi and Mick Gochanour, with lacquer cutting by Carl Rowatti at Trutone Mastering from the original 16-track analog tapes and a 180-gram vinyl pressing, Real Gone/ABKCO’s release of El Topo on LP fully captures Jodorowsky’s singular sonic vision.
- Entierro Del Primer Juguete (Burial of The First Toy)
- Bajo Tierra (Under the Earth)
- La Catedral De Los Puercos (The Pigs Monastery)
- Los Mendigos Sangrados (The Holy Beggars)
- La Muerte Es Un Nacimiento (Death Is Birth)
- Curios Mexicano (Mexican Curios)
- El Agua Viva (Living Water)
- Vals Fantasma
- El Alma Nace en la Sangre (The Soul Born in the Blood)
- Topo Triste
- Los Dioses De Azucar (The Sugar Gods)
- Las Flores Nacen En El Barro (Flowers Born in the Mud)
- El Infierno De Los Angeles Prostitutos (The Hell of the Prostituted Angels)
- Marcha De Los Ojos En El Triangulos (March of the Eyes in the Triangles)
- La Miel Del Dolor (The Pain of the Honey)
- 300 Conejos (300 Rabbits)
- Conocimiento A Traves De La Musica (Knowledge Through Music)
- La Primera Flor Despues Del Diluvio (The First Flower after the Flood)